Wednesday, November 9, 2011

More about this baby (the second month)

Around the beginning of the second month we were easing into our new normal.  We had just discover the most amazing baby sleeping contraption ever (at least for Rowan) and he was starting to sleep through the night.  He had his post-baby shower (aka baby coming out party) on August 27th, right at the four week mark.  After that, the visiting slowed down and Ben & I started to develop a routine.

Fist bump! Hooray for routine! 
I went back to work that week.  I feel like I have the best of both worlds right now - I only work 20-28 hours a week so it gets me out of the house and helps me feel productive, but I'm still spending the majority of my time with Rowan.   We don't have family in town, so we have to balance our schedules around caring for him.  It can be hard sometimes because there isn't a lot of time when we are both home with him.

During month two I started to feel really badly about not living near family.  We love our life here - we love our house, our friends are here, and we love all that Rochester has to offer.  I have a great part time job right now working at the University of Rochester Art Department - I wouldn't have an opportunity like that in Fredonia.  However, I hate knowing that Rowan will only see his cousins once a month on average.  My family is really close and I grew up spending a lot of time with my extended family.  My cousins are more like siblings and I spent every summer with my grandparents.  I had a mini-breakdown about this a few weeks ago while I was trying to get home for the weekend - everything possible was making it so hard just to make the two hour drive to my parents and it ended up taking almost four hours to get there.  I talked to Ben for the last stretch of the drive and calmed down a bit.  We basically left it at, I don't REALLY see us ever moving to Fredonia, BUT ...  we will just have to see what opportunities life presents.  We talk about the future, of course, but we also know that we can't plan for everything nor can we know what opportunities might arise.

Rowan with his cousins Ella & William

It seemed like Rowan changed very gradually during the second month - but boy was he growing!  He blew through his 3 month clothes into 6 and even 9 month sizes.  He started looking around a lot more and got very excited when we put some black silhouette decals on the off white wall next to his changing table - he definitely loves contrast!  At this point he was not very interested in tummy time, but he would push up, lift his head, and look around if he was lying on my or Ben's chest. He also started to notice his hand this month - he would hold up his fist (usually his left one) and wave it around and bring it to his face.  We wonder if he is left-handed.

Around this time it occurred to Ben that we should be taking more regular pictures of Rowan - like a 365 project, but it has ended up being a few times a week instead of daily.  But it's been good for capturing his growth, the development of his features, and his changing facial expressions.  Below are a few of those pictures.


No point in white-washing history ...

It's common for babies to have a misaligned (turned in) eye and it usually clears up no later than 6 months.  Still, it's hard not to worry that there might be something wrong.  His doctor isn't worried though and Rowan does look and look and look at the world around him.

Towards the end of the second month, Rowan started cooing.  It was very quiet and more to himself at first.  He has a deep, husky little voice.  We can't wait for him to start telling us all sorts of exciting things.

Rowan's Likes: Being held, looking at his hands, stretching, eating, snuggling, looking at his birds, being naked, baths, being outside

Rowan's Dislikes: Changing clothes (sometimes), waiting, the carseat

No comments:

Post a Comment